Dried molasses based product
Mela-Dry is a jointly-developed product of Adexgo Ltd., Solum Co., Vitafort Co. and Magyar Cukor Co.
Mela-Dry is created from molasses, a by-product of sugar production, using a patented drying process. In the development of making dried molasses The stuff of MTKI (Mosonmagyaróvár) – who has decades-long working experience in the field of drying and powdering – has also contributed to the development of this dried molasses product.
Main characteristics of liquid molasses are as follows: Syrup from the last phase of sugar-beet crystallisation is called molasses. It contains sugar (app. 6-9%) unresolved from sugar-beet and other soluble non-sugar materials as well. Molasses is an important raw material for yeast, feed and alcohol production.
Dried molasses in contrast to the liquid form has a definite advantage that it does not demand extra equipment (container, feeder) for its utilisation on the farm and in feed production procedure.
ADVANTAGES OF USING MELA-DRY IN PRACTICE
- ensures sugar supply of the cow
- ensures rapid energy source for rumen microbe that is favourable for microbial protein (MP) synthesis
- increases milk production and the energy concentration of the diet (it is known, that there is a reduced feed intake potential of a cow around postpartum period)
- improves feed taste, fibre digestion, health status and fertility parameters
decreases negative effects of heat stress
- The total sugar content of the feed can be set correctly with the utilisation of Mela-Dry, therefore NFC and/or NSC content of the diet can be optimised.
Dried molasses contains a large amount of easily soluble sugar. The highest portion of the sugar is sucrose, but there are fructose and glucose in small amount, as well.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SPECIAL CASES
- feeding NPN materials (e.g.: urea)
- using bypass protein and bypass fat sources
- feeding alfalfa silage/haylage in larger amount
- feeding dried corn in larger amount
EFFECT OF FEEDING DRIED MOLASSES ON THE PERFORMANCE OF HIGH YIELDING DAIRY COWS
Dried molasses (%)
Dry matter intake (kg/day)
Milk production (kg/day)
Digestibility of organic matter (%)
Digestibility of NDF (%)
Total sugar (%)*
Added sugar (%)*
*in % of DM; according to Broderick and Radloff (2004); a,b,c: P<0.05
RECOMMENDATIONS (TARGETS) FOR UTILISATION OF MELA-DRY
- Dairy cows: 1.0-1.5 kg/day (during the whole period of lactation)
- Bief cattle: 1.0-1.5 kg/day (during the whole period of fattening)
- In big-bag or in bag.
- The ration of Mela-Dry should not exceed 20% of the total diet!
- Do not feed it ad libitum, because in the case of overconsumption there is the risk of acidosis!
- Take care of utilising any other kind of sugar or starch sources not only their quantities but their ratio too!